I’ve read my whole life, everything, all the time. I love books. I’m addicted to used bookstores. When I’m in someone else’s space I don’t look in their drawers. I look at their bookshelves. Because my reading is eclectic and voluminous, I’ve divided this list into categories for easier browsing. I’ll update regularly, so check back often!
The Bitch, the Crone and the Harlot by Susan Schachterle. My copy of this came out of a used bookstore. The title made me smile, so I took it home and read it. Now it’s bristling with Post-It tabs and Bookdarts and I wouldn’t be without it. A wonderful book about reclaiming female power in middle age.
Being Wrong by Kathryn Schulz. Prepare to be tickled, challenged and provoked. What if…we’re wrong?
Home Sanctuary by Nicole Marcelis. A book about making a home that nurtures you, containing an exercise for creating balance in your life.
Getting Real by Susan Campbell, Ph.D. Living authentically.
Clean Sweep by Denny Sargent. All about letting go.
From poet, mystic and philosopher John O’Donohue:
- Anam Cara: A Book of Celtic Wisdom
- To Bless the Space Between Us: A Book of Blessings
- Beauty: The Invisible Embrace
- Eternal Echoes: Celtic Reflections on Our Yearning to Belong
- Four Elements: Reflections on Nature
- Conamara Blues: Poems
- Echoes of Memory
- Longing and Belonging: The Complete John O’Donohue Audio Collection
From educator and researcher Dr. Elaine Aron:
- The Highly Sensitive Person
- The Highly Sensitive Person’s Survival Guide
- The Highly Sensitive Child
- The Highly Sensitive Person in Love
- The Highly Sensitive Person’s Workbook
- Thrive: The Highly Sensitive Person and Career
An exploration of emotional and physical survival in all its aspects, social, physiological and psychological. A fascinating blend of true stories and science. Absorbing and provocative writing and essays from Laurence Gonzales:
- Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why
- Everyday Survival: Why Smart People Do Stupid Things
- Surviving Survival: The Art and Science of Resilience
- Flight 232: A Story of Disaster and Survival
- House of Pain: New and Selected Essays
Food, diet, nutrition and health:
- Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond the Paleo Diet For Total Health and a Longer Life by Nora Gedgaudas
- The Vegetarian Myth by Lierre Keith
- The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet by Nina Teicholz
- Death By Food Pyramid: How Shoddy Science, Sketchy Politics and Shady Special Interests Have Ruined Our Health by Denise Minger
Permaculture and holistic land management:
- Edible Forest Gardens (2 volumes) by Dave Jacke and Eric Toensmeier
- The Humanure Handbook: A Guide to Composting Human Manure by Joseph C. Jenkins
- Holy Shit: Managing Manure to Save Mankind by Gene Logsdon
- Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Save the World by Paul Stamets
- Holistic Management by Allan Savory
Earth systems science:
- Animate Earth by Stephan Harding
- Darwin’s Unfinished Business by Simon G. Powell
- Overshoot by William R. Catton, Jr.
- The Revenge of Gaia by James Lovelock
- Into the Cool: Energy Flow, Thermodynamics and Life by Dorion Sagan
- Never Out of Season: How Having the Food We Want When We Want It Threatens Our Food Supply and Our Future by Rob Dunn